Friday, August 04, 2006

The Price of Perfection

Well lately I've been doing a lot of thinking about who I am now and what effects the morg has had on me. One of the things that has had a serious impact, is the price of perfection that was required of myself and others. The vicious cycle that the members get put through is insane. Through the constant pursuit of perfection, we become obsessed with always getting everything 100% right. When we don't reach it, it's our fault and then comes the false guilt. This then leads to the frustration and anger of never being able to get it right. Consequently, this then moves into other areas of life which we shouldn't have guilt for.

For example, marriage. If your significant other is treating you extremeley poorly and maybe abusively, you'll feel as if you must not be doing everything right and there most be more that can be done. Thoughts such as "I'm not compassionate enough." "I'm not understanding enough." "I should give more." We become so programmed with these types of thoughts and feelings to the point that we completely and utterly forget about ourselves, the reality of the situation, and how to make the right decisions.

You can apply this to any thing that was in your life as a member of the church. Be it callings, little sins, scripture reading, temple attendance....

So instead of making a decisions that will help better the situation, blame is placed upon ones self and the problems never go away. And as the problems grow, so do feelings of inadequatecy, depression, and a lot of times anger. Is it no wonder then, that Utah leads the country in anti-depressant use? It just drives me crazy!

As far as I'm concerned, thomas s monson can take his "pathways to perfection" shine it up real nice, turn that son of a bitch side ways and shove it up his candy ASS!!! The leaders of the lds church are not so dumb as to not know that this problem is huge in the church. The leaders of the church are not so dumb as to not know that it is causing so much pain. But what do they care? It's their bread and butter. It's their sure thing. So long as they can keep everyone off balance enough to be so worried with all this BS, who will have time to find the truth?

The one good thing that comes from this, is that I believe it is backfiring on the church in a number of ways. It's no wonder that based on statistics I've read, that the active membership in the morg is closer to 4-5 mil.

Oh wait though, that can't be. Because according good ole gordy, there are so very few of us "dissenters". Sure gordy, whatever makes you feel better.

6 Comments:

Blogger Simeon's Peep Stone said...

Perfection at the cost of damnation. If Jesus is the Christ, shouldn't the atonement be enough. Do we really need to earn our way into heaven and then use secret handshakes to get in? Give me a break. I'm not sure about religion as a whole, but if Jesus IS the Christ, ignoring the atonement is not the way to go.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Cynthia E. Bagley said...

I told my husband about the "earn your way into heaven" of this faith. AND, his answer was... "this is not Christianity."

The church's emphasis on perfection has caused damnation in their members. I would not go back to HELL for any reason.

3:56 PM  
Blogger Cynthia E. Bagley said...

Oh.. on the perfection thing... if you have no money or are sick, then God is punishing you... according to the members.

All my close relations are TBMs. I went to a wedding reception and was braced for at least one of them to tell me that my disease was caused by my disobedience. Thank goodness no one did and I did NOT have to go nuclear. :-)

But I was prepared.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Ishmael, the Wild Ass said...

Yah, if any one tries to pull that stunt on me they will get an ear full. About 2 years after I got back from my mission I got diagnosed with a rare life threatening condition(Which thankfully has some treatment options now). Since then I've had another couple of medical issues all while being active in the church. I can't wait for someone to claim I'm sick because I left. Then they will have to answer to why I got so sick before I left... lol People can be sooo stupid sometimes. :P

4:38 PM  
Blogger Joseph's Left One said...

Like someone said, "Mormonism is a great way to raise your kids ... as long as they're perfect."

Demands for perfection only produce one thing: massive guilt, for which I am the poster child.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Arizona Expositor said...

No they are sacred handshakes, oh no, they really are secret...Duh.

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home